Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Writing 340 Experience

I am really glad that I decided to take the Arts and Humanities Writing 340.  I am currently working on an Honors Thesis for Psychology, which requires me to write a lengthy APA style scientific paper.  Before this course, I had almost forgotten about the artistic element to writing, given that my thesis is supposed to be written in a way that is so straight-forward and in my opinion “bland.”  


Anyways, this course reminded me of the importance of art.  Something that I have noticed is that art truly cultures imagination.  Talented authors and artists do not just present the facts that are readily in their mind, they think of how to present them to their audience in a way that is interesting and pleasing; which is what art is.  Without it, people would not be forced to take the extra effort to think outside the box and find an interesting way to present their knowledge.  This point I am trying to make can be well summed up by this quote said by Albert Einstein: “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with everything you said about art! It is in everything everywhere and the acknowledgement is our responsibility. I know what you are saying about academic writing and how boring writing in that style can be as well. Nice looking blog and thanks for your comments on mine!

    -Charles

    ReplyDelete